Many of us enjoy fishing as a pastime or even competitively. No matter how skilled – or unskilled – you are, fishing is a great way to unwind and spend time bonding with family or friends while enjoying the Great Outdoors.
Beyond being enjoyable, fishing actually has numerous health and wellness benefits, particularly in terms of mental health and reducing stress. So next time you feel frustrated by the stresses of daily life and this ‘new normal’, grab your fishing gear and head out to the nearest pond or lake, even for just a few hours. It can boost your mood, shift your focus away from the source of your stress, and even sharpen your brain function.
The stress-busting benefits of fishing
Simply getting outside and connecting with nature has a host of wellness benefits to begin with. Add in the element of fishing, and you have one of the fastest and most natural ways to improve your overall well-being.
- Reduces stress levels - The repetitive motions involved in fishing initiate what’s known as the relaxation response, which counterbalances the body’s stress response by slowing breathing rates and relaxing the muscles, in turn reducing cortisol, commonly referred to as the “stress hormone.” The calming effects can last as long as three weeks. Because of this, fishing has even been found to help veterans and others suffering from PTSD, improving their sleep quality and substantially reducing stress levels.
- Shifts focus - In many ways, fishing is a lot like meditation and yoga. It requires intense, extended concentration and focus, as well as repetition of simple but precise tasks. This takes your mind off of daily stresses and any internal battles you may have going on, which in turn, reduces anxiety and can fight symptoms of depression.
- Improves cognition function - Some of the routine tasks you do when you’re fishing may seem simple, but they’re actually helping to sharpen your brain. Changing bait, trouble-shooting fishing rod and line issues, and even searching for the perfect fishing spot all help build problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Boosts mood - Spending time in the sun, even when the sky is overcast, allows you to soak up Vitamin D, which is proven to act as a natural mood booster. It also has immune-boosting properties and helps cell function. Exposure to sunlight also promotes an increase of serotonin, which further enhances moods and can increase feelings of calm and help sharpen focus.
- Digital detox - In an increasingly digital world where most of us have devices that do just about everything for us, taking a nature time out forces us to put the devices down, which promotes creativity and can be calming. Even a short break from technology has also been shown to improve sleep quality, memory function, and decision-making skills.
The decision to get out and fish is an easy one, but you’ll need the right equipment. Whether you’re a weekend hobbyist or fish every day of the week, Texas Hunter Products has a range of fish feeders and accessories. We also offer a number of other top-quality products designed specifically for outdoor enthusiasts, and we’ve designed and manufactured everything right here in the U.S. for over 65 years.
Shop online, contact us, or call 800-969-3337 for a lake manager or dealer near you. We look forward to helping you de-stress while catching bigger fish, faster.